Monday 8 February 2010

So Far So Good:

Now that I have a clear focus of the direction I want this 3D object to take, it's now time to begin making it.
I started by building each of the individual components separately by following the photos I took of my own set up, shown below:

Close up of the wheel, bearing and nut:

Close up of the truck:

The con-caved tail/nose:

I then broke the skateboard down into 3 separate objects to make it easier for myself, the deck, trucks, wheels (inc. bearings) as an be seen in the three images above. Firstly I made a wheel, bearing and nut for the truck, each were scaled so that they could all fit together ready for the animation. I also only made one wheel, as after one was complete, it's just a case of copying the object and pasting it back onto the stage, Another reason for doing this aside from saving time is that the scale of each wheel will be exactly the same.

As shown below:

I then built the deck. This requires the least amount of work as it is simply a rectangle, with two circles on either end which I will bend to create the concave of a real skateboard, chamfering the edges for that rounded look.

Shown below: (without concave)

I then made the truck, this was easily the hardest component to build as it requires the most amount of individual parts and all must be angled co
rrectly for them all to fit together realistically.

Below is How the trucks look so far:

And here is how it looks together:
Don't forget it's still early days and far from finished! I still have to bend the ends for the concave look, apply realistic materials to all the components, place the graphic on the underside of the deck and then animate it as I intended in the previous post..but it's certainly a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment