Friday 5 February 2010

Back to the Drawing Board

Now that I have a website with basic HTML I feel its definitely about time I began to develop it and transform it into something I can be proud of. It currently only has small amounts of video and images and mainly consists of text which is exactly the opposite of what I want it to be. as shown in my research all the blogs and websites I have interest in are media based and would very much like to follow that style.
As the site was originally only produced for an assignment it only has a few links on it to different pages. However, this is definitely a site I w
ant to begin to grow. I liked the fact that the links were situated at the top of the page, but now I feel I will soon run out of space along the top as I build the pages and feel it would be much easier when adding links if they ran down the left hand side of the site.

Below is a site that I have recently come across as I have been looking into photography lately.

This is a screen shot of Harookz Photography. This site was actually sent to me by a mountain biking friend who is also very much into photography. The fact that there is not an awful lot going on I find helps focus the links to different areas on the site, as well as the page links being completely separated from the main content. Another reason I like this is it is the images take up the majority of the page. This is exactly the type of thing I'm after. I want my site to be very much a visual based site, rather than a textual one.

Example of a gallery:
Another thing this site has emphasised is that my current website does not have a photo gallery. I have simply placed a small portion of my skate photos onto the HTML page and separated them with page break tags. This is definitely something I must research in to build my own as I have over 3000 traveling photos that I'd very much like to share, as well as a separate skateboarding gallery!

The site also has its own blog hosted upon it. This is another aspect that I definitely would like to use. This would keep by blog linked to my website and keep it all together. I'd also like to make another blog, one for my university work which is the reason for this one, but an additional one for my personal blogging. As I enjoy photography, video making and skating myself, I'd definitely be able to update a personal blog with all sorts of different antics I manage to get myself in.

Example of blog on Harookz website:

All images taken from Harookz Photography website, check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment