Saturday 17 April 2010

Personality In A Site:

The personal website I feel should capture/portray the personality it has been designed for. My original site was set to black and red, which is decided to stick with as I liked this look. However one thing I did not like was that the user had to scroll a a lot as the pages content was just run down the page. Another problem was that I had a separate pages for 'about me' and 'NPNG', which were only present as the brief for the first websites assignment was that it had to have four pages and I struggled to think of what to use. The less clicks a site has generally makes it easier to use, so I decided to just give a brief introduction to the site, and change the 'NPNG' page to my portfolio. This also makes the site more specific to me and showcase my university work.
Old Homepage:

New Homepage:
This is the new homepage so far, it isn't exactly how I want it, but definitely a step in the right direction, I do like the fact that my old homepage has a photo of me, as it shows who the site belongs to, the reason I have not yet put one on my new page is that I have not yet found the right one to use, however, I do have a good idea of what I am after. On the left of the screen shows a widget that displays my four latest tweets. This is a nice touch as it also broadens my online presence and will entice people to follow me on Twitter. However it is not exactly original. The idea I have is that I will put a photo of myself in the middle of the page with a blank t-shirt on. I will then position my latest Twitter feed onto the t-shirt. This makes it more creative. The red spiral image that can be seen at the moment is really just a test and temporarily masks the large amount of blank space for the time being.
Another new addition to the page is that I have added icons that link to my other online networks. By clicking on each of the icons the user is taken to my profiles, allowing them to add me as a friend on Facebook, follow me on Twitter etc. This broadens my online presence and helps my brand grow.

Below is what was shown on my NPNG page. This was basically a page dedicated to friends back home that I skate with as it further shows who I am and what I do, but doesn't fit the purpose of my site, but I do want to keep a part of it for my interests. To do this I have decided to keep a separate blog for things other than uni work.

NPNG page, now removed:
CONTACT:
My contact page has also been changed, again my first site followed a brief to be handed in for an assignment, which pointed the contact page to a website: samiam.com. This however is not desired for this site and I want people to be able to contact me by the messages being sent to me. I changed the old page from what is shown below to one that fit the same design as the rest of the site. Again the red spiral image will be changed later to better suit the sites layout, but this shows close to how the page will look.

Old Contact page:

New Contact page:
And finally, my Portfolio has been added to showcase the university work I produce for assignments and such, this will grow with work as my time at university progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment