Friday 29 January 2010

My Flash Game:

Once I had a good idea of what I was aiming to achieve with my game it was much easier to begin. I also however wanted it to be different, I had originally decided to make a game that was in the style of a pigeon shoot, or a space kind of idea, but after hearing of some of the games my fellow classmates had produced I de
cided to change the subject of mine completely. to mix things up I decided to change the vi
ew from shooting things in the air, to being in the air and shooting down. This then led to the theme of the game that the user would become a gunman of a helicopter and the aim would be to catch an escaped criminal. This still uses the same principle of an aim and shoot game, but at a different point of view which I liked.

I definitely wanted my game to have a start screen. The purpose of this is to introduce the game by setting the scene and giving the user some instructions. Once the user had clicked a play button, it would then go into the game play screen where the user would be set a specific time to shoot the criminal before the time ran out. Once the user had hit the running criminal for the required number of times in the time limit, the window frame would show a win, but failure to do so would result in a game over screen with an option to go back and try again.
The game play will involve the user having to catch a criminal that I place randomly on screen using action script with the position (Math.random). once the user has clicked on the criminal 10 times, they win. Although to limit the user from winning every time, I placed a timer so the game play was limited to 10 seconds. I also purposely did not show how much time the user has left, this should give a little more excitement. If the user is unable to click the criminal 10 times in 10 seconds, they fail.
After a few days of writing the action script and checking the game fully worked, this is what I came up with:

Start Screen:

Game Play (day):

Game Play:Winner Screen:
Failure Screen:
For the game change due to an external change, I decided to change the background of the game play frame. Seeing as the criminal is running in the streets, I decided to simply change the background from a map during the day, to a street map that looked as though it was night by giving it a green layer to imply the user is now us
ing night vision. The data pulled in would be the time of the users computer to change this depending on weather it was day or night equivale
nt to real time (If day, game would display day fram
e, if night, game would display night vision frame).

[External Data Change] Time Screen (night):


Now that the game is complete I am happy with the way that the game looks and plays.
I also tried to keep the look of the game specific to my website. The colour scheme on my website consists of red and black, so for the game, I h
ave made all text red on top of a black back ground to try and keep them related.

Below is how the game appeared once I had uploaded it to my webspace, Happy days!


No comments:

Post a Comment